Follow Us on Twitter

Do-It-Yourself Monday -- How to Make Homemade Popcorn

While we've been living in China,  I had to learn how to do a lot of things by myself that I never thought I'd be able to do.  I don't always do them well, but I try :)  I thought it would be fun to start a weekly DIY post giving recipes, tips, and/or instructions for how to do things by yourself and save money! I also thought it would be fun to hear from one of my five readers (j/k) about what YOU know how to do yourself that you find easy to do!  So....here's my first one.  It's a simple one that many of you probably know how to do already, but I just learned a few months ago.


Making Homemade Popcorn
Ingredients: 1/2 cup corn kernels, 2 TBS vegetable oil, salt (optional), butter (optional)

Step 1:  Use a deep pan with a lid (or even a big pot might do)
Step 2:  Pour 2 TBS of vegetable oil in the pan and swirl to cover the bottom evenly
Step 3:  Turn the heat to medium high
Step 4:  Throw 2-3 kernels in the oil to measure when the pan is hot enough to add the rest.  Make sure
             you put the lid on the pan!
Step 5:  When the 2-3 kernels pop, it's time to add the rest!
Step 6:  Add the kernels and shake the pan back and forth while it's popping (to prevent burning).
Step 7:  As soon as the popping starts to decrease, remove from the fire.
Step 8:  Add butter and salt as you wish!

It's really that simple.  I was afraid of trying this for so long, but they don't have microwavable popcorn in China, so I had to figure it out :)  I like this better than microwavable popcorn now because it's cheaper and I can add as little or as much butter and salt as I like! 

Now it's your turn!  If you know how to do something yourself that can save us some time or money or it's just plain fun, leave me a comment.  I'd love to have a different person featured here each week.  I don't have enough skills to keep this going for very long without you :)

Blessings,
Steph

This is also going to be my Monday Madness post for the week!  Click on the button to link up! 

The Tuckers Take Tennessee
Category: 8 comments

8 comments:

Tonia Lee Smith said...

I have a few tips that I have tried, so I know these work

1) To relieve heartburn, add a tablespoon of vinegar to a 6-8oz glass of water and drink it.

2)Mix one part vinegar to two part water for a mirror and glass cleaner

Unknown said...

We always make homemade popcorn now; my boyfriend hates microwaveable popcorn, and like you said, it's cheaper!

Hmmmm...ideas...well, we make our own cat toys/treat dispensers. I was thinking about making a tutorial video about it for my blog; it's not hard at all. Let me know if you're interested!

Cheap Geeks Anonymous

pinaymama said...

We used to eat home-made popcorn! It's our favorite food while watching tv.

Elizabeth said...

Ooh this is making me so hungry!! Thanks for the idea :)

Traci66 said...

I want to invite you and any other bloggers that love new followers and finding new blogs to follow to join my sister and I on Thursday for Keepin' Company Thursday this is a follow me type meme. Come link up at htp://traci66.blogspot.com or at my sister's http://heckofabunch.blogspot.com

Tyne said...

A new blogger! Love your idea for the post today! I learned how to make my own jewelry after spending LOADS of money on it! Would love if you'd follow me back!

Nikki said...

Found you off of Meet and Greet Monday. Great popcorn post. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

My mom always did it this way when we were kids, but I never have. We actually sing the BNL popcorn song all the time, and it starts with Momma puts the popcorn in the pot....so I want to do this. Will be using yours!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Stat Counter