Follow Us on Twitter

Do-It-Yourself Monday... The Cottage Remodel

I've been meaning to do this for quite some time, so I thought I'd show you the cottage remodel that my husband did for this week's DIY Monday.  I don't think I mentioned this before, but our house (the one from 1889) had a mother-in-law cottage next to it.  It had been built in the 1980's, and it was really just a garage converted into a living space without heat, air, etc.  We knew we couldn't really afford a mortgage, so we bought this property knowing that my husband could convert the MIL cottage into an apartment we could rent out to help cover the mortgage.  So....here are the BEFORE pics of the cottage:

Front of the cottage

Old kitchen (Shark @ 2 mos.)

Cottage living room

                                                             Old bathroom

pic on left -- old bedroom
pic on right -- not sure...this was a long hallway/room @ back of cottage (I'm not sure what it was for)


They ended up knocking everything down except for the four walls, and here is what it looked like when it was finished!  (I would show the pics of what it was like during the remodel , but I think this post is getting kind of long!)



                                                                    New Kitchen

                                                     New bathroom...above and below

 New Living Room


1 of 2 new bedrooms...this is a junky picture, sorry :(  I should not be allowed to take the pictures :)

I truly cannot believe what they were able to do with this place (and all for such a great price too!).  These pictures really do not do it justice either.  I wanted to move in!  I am so thankful that God gave me such a talented husband...he's really the total package :)

We've taken some new pics of the house remodel, so I'll try to upload some before and durings of those!  Only a few more months to go and we'll creep out of my in-law's basement to our new home!
Category: 11 comments

11 comments:

Angie B said...

Wow that's great! I wish I could do stuff like that. My father-in-law can but not my hubby. That's ok lol. Tell your hubby he did a great job.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Wow! It looks great! :D

Unknown said...

Wow what a great job! Your hubby did amazing!!

Deb K said...

That is beautiful!! I am sure that you will have no problem renting it!

Nancy said...

Nice job! I wish we were handy enough to do things like that. Is you husband for hire:)

Rachel said...

Great work! It looks awesome!

Julee said...

What a beautiful makeover!
I subscribe via email thanks to Mailbox Monday! Julee @I now subscribe thanks to Mailbox Monday Julee @Mommy's Memorandum

A GAL NEEDS... said...

Oh my goodness! That is so clever! Someone will have an adorable little cottage to live in and YOU will have some great rent help! Bravo!

Megan Gunyan said...

Wow, what a difference! It looks fabulous! Great job....!

I'd love it if you would link up to my Friday link party! Have a wonderful weekend. http://alittleknickknack.blogspot.com/

SandyQuilts said...

WOW beautiful. If a nail needs to be hammered ... I have to do it ... DH does it crooked everytime.

Please tell me are your floors hardwood? I want hardwood shoot I'd even take engineered hardwood.

michellel said...

I think this is an amazing transformation! Some lucky person is going to get to rent something WAY better than the average rental!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Stat Counter