I've been seeing lots and lots of information about Purex Complete Crystals Softener on various blogs, but it wasn't until I became a Purex Insider and got to try it out myself that I learned why this new product from Purex is so unique. I love taking out a warm load of laundry that smells so good and fresh, but I had no idea that traditional fabric softeners are REALLY bad for my clothes! Here's a quick run through the facts that I found pretty astonishing considering I've been using fabric softener since I started doing my own laundry over 20 years ago.
1. Are oil based? Which means they COAT your fabrics in oil :( That means over time your clothes will start turning gray or yellow because the softener inhibits the proper cleaning of your laundry, so your clothes won't last as long.
2. Can decrease your towels' ability to absorb water? I really, really don't like using one of those towels that DON'T REMOVE WATER. Using traditional fabric softeners interferes with the absorbency of fabrics since it coats them in oil, so over time you end up with towels that just won't remove water from you, dishes, etc.
3. Can make your children's sleepwear less safe? When clothing fibers are covered in oil, they become less flame retardant, so even though childrens' clothing has been treated to meet the Consumer Products Safety Commission's standards, using traditional liquid softeners impairs the effectiveness of the treatment.
4. Can reduce the effectiveness of your sportswear? Sportswear is made to wick moisture and perspiration away from your body while you work out or play sports, and again, when you coat your clothing in oil by using the traditional liquid softeners, the effectiveness of the wicking is compromised.
The new Purex Complete Crystals Softener is 92% natural, not oil-based like other liquid fabric softeners, so it DOESN'T coat your fabrics in oil! This means that it's 100% safe to use on childrens' clothing, it does not inhibit the wicking properties of sportswear, it ensures that your towels stay fresh and absorbent, and it works by penetrating and infusing fabric fibers with freshness that lasts for weeks, not just days!
I think that consumers are so used to seeing "new" product after "new" product hit the market, but it is a rare occasion with something truly NEW comes out. I would have to say that new Purex Complete Crystals Softener is really a unique product that will improve the way that we soften and freshen our clothes and other fabrics. In addition to the above information here are the Pros and Cons as I see it from my own personal use of this product:
* the directions are super easy to follow. I knew just how much to use and how to correctly use the crystals
* the scent is just right. It was pretty strong when I smelled it out of the bottle, but it was perfect after my clothes had been through the dryer. I didn't smell the scent every time I used anything I had washed with the Purex Crystals, but that's okay with me because I don't usually want to smell like softener, though I do enjoy folding laundry that smells fresh.
* I can only take Purex's word that I am going to see long-term benefits from using the Purex Crystals because I just started using them. In a few weeks/months, I should be able to see if there is a difference in my clothes and how long they last.
Cons: I was not a HUGE fan of the scent, Fresh Spring Waters. I didn't hate it and I think it will be a great scent for others, but I will personally be choosing a different scent (either Tropical Splash or Lavender Blossom) for regular use.
I encourage you to check out the Purex website for more information and some great coupons for Purex products!
Disclosure: I was provided with a small sample of Purex Complete Crystals Softener and a coupon good for an additional FREE Purex Complete Crystals Softener full-size product. Opinions on this product are my own.